Sunday, December 2, 2012

My Tummy Hurts

Hi All,

Libby here.

It's holiday time! And you know what that means? That's right...stomach aches!!! Ok. I can understand if you are not equally enthused about the prospect of an aching belly as I am but, ever the opportunist, I am excited to use this gastrointestinal issue as a topic of my blog post this week!

I've been hearing a lot about people and their aching bellies recently. Now, although I assume this is more related to eating too much turkey and apple pie, I know that you human folks are not unfamiliar with stomach issues and sensitivities to food. Sometimes, stomach issues are caused by eating too much. Other times, there is something much bigger at play. 

Similarly, gastrointestinal issues are not uncommon in pets. And so, in honor of holiday pains, today, we are going to talk about gastrointestinal diseases, just one of the many stomach and intestinal ailments that can afflict your pet.

I have a soft spot for this condition because I can relate on a personal level; I suffer from loose bowels and a raging appetite. And I'm not ashamed to admit it. But as we know, in spite of the fact that this blog is basically the world through MY perspective, this case is not about me but rather about a kitty named Ordonez.

Ordonez, named after Rey Ordonez, a Mets player from the 90's, came in about a year and a half ago presenting with vomiting and weight loss. Ordy, as he was fondly referred to, had thickened intestines and swollen intestinal lymph nodes. 

Dr. S. performed a needle biopsy of the lymph node which gave a diagnosis of Inflammatory Bowel Disease. He was treated with cortisone to make the inflammation subside. Ordy responded to this treatment for a period of time but his symptoms returned. An exam revealed that the lymph nodes were bigger but now, a distinct mass was also found in the intestines. A second needle biopsy revealed that a cancer was present. It was lymphoma.

Chemotherapy was prescribed. It was administered, and worked, for a year and change. Unfortunately, after this time, Ordy stopped responding to treatment. About a month later, his mommy decided to humanely put him to sleep.

Although the tale is sad, Ordy was a lucky kitty; with treatment, his lifespan was extended.  So ladies and gents, GI issues are a serious matter. If you see your cat suffering from diarrhea, increased appetite, weight loss, or a loss of appetite (I know, these symptoms seem a bit at odds with eachother but sometimes, the body does crazy things!) bring them in to the vet. It may be a treatable GI issue.

Til' next time,

Libby

No comments:

Post a Comment